The most profound memories I have of places I visit is the food. Good food is always a game changer.
I am not a big fan of Groundnut sauce (G-nut sauce) but when I tasted it in UG it changed my life! I really wanted to know how to make it but then the laziness in me knew better. I never got to have G-nut sauce until late last year when I visited Rwanda and the two of us reconnected haha (G-nut sauce and I). This was a clear sign that I had to inquire how it is made plus I had friends who would ask if I knew how to make it. I am happy to share my findings. 🙂
- 200g Roasted/raw groundnuts
- 1/4 Ginger
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- A pinch of salt
- Pestle and mortar (not necessarily ingredients hehe)
Spoiler Alert: The trick is, it’s prepared just like how you’d do porridge.
- Boil 2 glasses of water in a ‘sufuria’/cooking pot.
- Meanwhile put the nuts without their kin in the mortar and pound with the pestle to finer particles.
- Add your other ingredients (coloured ingredients – optional) , just do not over do it.
- Mix the pounded ingredients with cold water and the salt and stir until everything dissolves.
- Add this mixture to the boiling water and stir for about 10-20 minutes until it thickens to your liking.
- Let it cool and serve with a dish of your liking.